Civil wedding in Italy

Unlike many other countries, Italy welcomes, with open arms, the weddings of foreigners and tourists who come here to celebrate their marriages.  In contrast to other nations, in order to wed in Italy you need not reside here for any certain length of time, nor own property.  All you need to do is chose the location for your wedding in Italy, decide upon the date of the ceremony, and leave it to us to act on your behalf for civil authorities.

Foreigners who do not live on Italian territory and wish to wed here must provide a document called “Nulla Osta”, and another document which affirms that there are no impediments to the marriage. Below is detailed information for British, Irish, American, Canadian and Australian citizens on how to obtain these as well as the other documents and procedures for a civil wedding in Italy. If you are not from one of these countries, just send us an e-mail telling where you are from and we will provide you with all the information pertinent for persons of your nationality.

Under Italian law, two adult witnesses must be present at the wedding ceremony. Should it be just the two of you, we will be able to provide witnesses for you. Also required is an interpreter for the reading of the rites as well as for the signing of some of the documents. We will also take care of this, for you.

After the wedding, the newlyweds will be immediately issued a multi-language marriage certificate which must be legalized in the prefecture of the city where the wedding has taken place.  We will tend to this for you and send you the finalized documents by courier. With this certificate, your marriage in Italy will then be official!

Requirements for U.S. citizens and for Australian citizens
US citizens and Australian citizens planning to marry in Italy must present specific documents which comply with Italian regulations in order for their wedding to have legal validity. Please note that in order to be considered valid by Italian authorities, all documents (birth certificate, divorce decree, etc.) must be translated into Italian and authenticated and bear the “Apostille” stamp of the Italian Consulate nearest your residence. You may wish to contact your nearest Italian Consulate for details on how to properly translate these documents.

Before your arrival in Italy:
1) Valid PASSPORT: (members of US Armed Forces may present their ID card, along with a permission to marry issued by their Commanding officer).
2) BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Original Birth Certificate, with Apostille and translated into Italian showing the names of both parents, authenticated for use in Italy. If you are under 18, you must bring a sworn statement by parents or legal guardian(s) approving the marriage.
3) PROOF OF TERMINATION OF ANY PREVIOUS MARRIAGE: required only if not already recorded properly on the Atto Notarile (for example, Final Divorce or Annulment Decree, or Death Certificate of former spouse).
4) ATTO NOTORIO:  This Notarzied Act is a Sworn Affidavit to be made in the Italian Consulate closest to your current residence.    

Once you arrive in Italy:
5) NULLA OSTA:  Affidavit declaring that there are no impediments to your legally marrying. This form is released by the American Embassy in Rome. Therefore it is important to book an appointment with them online far in advance and plan your travel arrangements accordingly. It is important to know that the Embassy provided this service only certain days of the week. The Nulla Osta then has to be legalized at the Prefecture which is also open only certain days and hours of the week, so it is important to plan to arrive to Italy at least one week before your wedding.

Along with the above listed documents, which must be presented to the municipality of the city where the marriage is to be performed, you will sign a “DECLARATION OF NON IMPEDIMENT”, normally two days prior to the wedding.

Requirements for British citizens
Before your arrival in Italy, you must obtain a Certificate of No Impediment, issued in the UK.  This is done by giving notice of your intended marriage to your local registry office. After your notice has been posted for the required period you will be issued a “Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage”, signed and dated by your local Registrar. It is essential that the names appearing on your Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) are exactly the same as indicated on your passports. Please note that your CNI will be valid for six months from the date of issue (English, Welsh or Northern Irish CNI) or three months if presenting a Scottish CNI.

In the meantime you must make a bilingual Statutory Declaration before a UK Public Notary or a Solicitor (solicitor fees are normally lower). This declaration is required by Italian authorities and provides additional information not included on your CNI. After obtaining both documents (CNI and Statutory Declaration) you must legalize your documents for Italian authorities.  This is done by sending both documents to the FCO Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes. Each legalized document must bear a Hague Apostille. For costs and procedures you may consult the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website

The final step is the translation of your legalised CNI. You may contact your nearest Italian Consulate for details on how to properly translate documents. The Statutory Declaration does not need to be translated since it is already in both languages. Once all documents are prepared, they should be sent to us, together with a copy of both your passports. This will enable us to submit the documents to the city hall where you intend celebrate your marriage. 

Requirements for Canadian citizens
The Canadian Government does not issue “Nulla Osta”.
To obtain this declaration a Canadian Citizen must first complete an AFFIDAVIT, sworn in front of a notary public in Canada, declaring that there are no impediments to the intended marriage. For the preparation of this affidavit, you will need to present and have notarized the following documents:

  • Valid Canadian passport;
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship). (For persons born in Québec, only birth certificates issued on or after January 1, 1994, by “Le Directeur de l’état civil” in the province of Québec are accepted);
  • Complete details of the future spouse (full name, date and place of birth, residence, father’s name and mother’s maiden name);
  • Final divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse (if divorced or widowed);
  • Parental consent (if the bride or groom is a minor).

The AFFFIDAVIT must then be translated into Italian. You may contact your nearest Italian Consulate for details on how to properly translate and legalize this declaration. The original and translated AFFIDAVIT must then be sent to us by courier, along with the notarized copies of each of the above listed documents. We will take care of having the Nulla Osta authenticated by the Italian “Prefettura Ufficio Legalizzazioni” (provincial authority). Once the declaration has been legalized, we will then present it on your behalf to the marriage Registrar of the Municipality in Italy where the wedding is to be held.

Requirements for Irish citizens
You will need to bring the following documents to the DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS in Dublin. They will look them over and, once the documents are approved, they will send an e-mail to the Irish Consulate in Rome, which will then issue the Nulla Osta.

  • Completed Questionnaire (MP1)
  • Completed Statutory Declaration (MP2)
  • Long Form Birth Certificate
  • Passport or Certified copy
  • Fee for Nulla Osta

The Embassy recommends that applications be submitted four months prior to the wedding date. The Nulla Osta will be issued one month before the wedding. Your application must include a letter indicating the wedding location, date, and agency handling the arrangements as well as all contact numbers. All documents in languages other than English should be translated and if not submitted in original, the photocopies must be authenticated.

Documents required for a divorced Irish Citizen wishing to marry:
1. Questionnaire
2. Long form birth certificate
3. Statutory Declaration (MP2B) completed by divorced Irish citizen
4. Original Petition of Divorce
5. Final Decree of Divorce

Documents required for Divorced foreign national wishing to marry an Irish Citizen:
1. Questionnaire
2. Authenticated copy of state birth cert
3. Statutory Declaration (MP2D)
4. Original petition of divorce
5. Final Decree of Divorce
6. Copy of National Identity Card